Missing Teeth Are Best Treated With Dental Implants
Posted by Bencaz Family Dentistry Sep 20, 2023
Are you tired of hiding your smile because of missing teeth? Do you long for the confidence to laugh, speak, and eat without worry? If so, then dental implants may be the perfect solution for you! Dental implants have revolutionized the field of dentistry, allowing individuals with missing teeth to restore their smiles like never before.
The Process of Getting Dental Implants
The process of getting dental implants is a multi-step procedure that requires careful planning and execution. It typically involves several appointments with your dentist or oral surgeon. First, a thorough examination of your mouth will be conducted to determine if you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. This may include X-rays and impressions of your teeth and gums. Once it is determined that you are eligible for the procedure, the next step involves surgical placement of the implant into your jawbone. This is done under local anesthesia to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
After the implant has been placed, a healing period of several months is necessary to allow for osseointegration – the process by which the implant fuses with your natural bone tissue. During this time, temporary restorations may be used to maintain aesthetics and functionality. Once osseointegration has occurred, an abutment – a connector piece – will be attached to the implant. This serves as a foundation for attaching the final restoration. Custom-made crowns or dentures will be fabricated based on impressions taken of your mouth. These restorations are then securely attached to the abutments, completing the process.
Benefits of Dental Implants
When it comes to replacing missing teeth, dental implants are the gold standard. Unlike other alternatives like dentures or bridges, dental implants offer a range of unique benefits that make them an excellent choice for restoring your smile and improving your oral health.
- First and foremost, dental implants provide a long-lasting solution. While dentures may need to be replaced every 5-7 years, dental implants can last a lifetime with proper care. This means you won't have to worry about constantly investing in new replacements or dealing with frequent adjustments.
- Another significant advantage of dental implants is their ability to preserve bone health. When a tooth is lost, the underlying jawbone starts to deteriorate over time. However, because dental implants are surgically placed into the jawbone and function as artificial tooth roots, they stimulate natural bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- Dental implants look and feel just like real teeth. They are designed to blend seamlessly with your natural smile so that no one will even know they're not your original teeth. With this enhanced aesthetics comes improved confidence and self-esteem.
- Dental implants also restore full functionality to your mouth. Unlike removable dentures that can slip or cause discomfort while eating or speaking, implant-supported crowns are securely anchored in place for maximum comfort and stability.
- Maintaining good oral hygiene becomes much easier with dental implants compared to other restorative options. You can brush and floss around them just like you would with natural teeth without any extra hassle or special cleaning routines.
- Last but equally important for many patients is the improvement in speech that comes from having stable replacement teeth firmly anchored by titanium posts in the jawbone.
Aftercare and Maintenance for Dental Implants
Aftercare and maintenance for dental implants are crucial to ensure their long-term success. Once you have undergone the implant procedure, it is important to follow a proper oral hygiene routine.
- Regular brushing and flossing are essential to keep your dental implants clean. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to gently brush around the area of the implant. Additionally, don't forget to floss carefully between the implants and surrounding teeth.
- It is also advisable to schedule regular visits with your dentist for professional cleanings. This will help remove any plaque or tartar buildup that may occur around the implants.
- Furthermore, be mindful of what you eat and avoid biting into hard foods or using your teeth as tools. Chewing on ice or opening bottle caps can put unnecessary pressure on your dental implants.
- In addition, if you notice any discomfort or changes in the appearance of your dental implants, it's important to contact your dentist promptly. Regular check-ups will allow them to monitor the health of your implants and address any issues before they worsen.
By following these aftercare practices diligently, you can extend the lifespan of your dental implants and maintain a healthy smile for years to come!
To find out more about the dental services we offer at Bencaz Family Dentistry, call (225) 665-2417 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 130 N. Hummell Street, Denham Springs, LA 70726.