5 Foods That Naturally Whiten Your Smile
Posted by Bencaz Family Dentistry Apr 13, 2017
Who doesn’t want whiter teeth? A bright smile can boost your self-confidence and even make you look younger. While professional teeth whitening is the most effective way to brighten your smile, there are some foods that can keep tooth stains away. You may be well aware of the foods and drinks that darken your teeth, such as coffee, red wine and blueberries. However, the following foods are known for whitening your smile – in the most natural way!
- Apples: Chomping down on a fresh, crisp apple will naturally scrub your teeth. Apples also contain malic acid, an ingredient found in many toothpastes. Malic acid increases saliva flow, which is a vital component to cleaning your teeth and preventing stains.
- Strawberries: Besides the fact that strawberries also contain malic acid, they have powerful antioxidants that fight stain-causing bacteria. As an added benefit, strawberries can prevent gum disease due to its Vitamin C levels and antioxidants that reduce inflammation.
- Cheese: The calcium, phosphorus and proteins found in cheese are strong protectors of your tooth enamel. Protecting this outer tooth layer is important to retaining a bright smile. When the white enamel layer wears thin, the yellow dentin layer is more visible. Cheese also delivers lactic acid, which prevents cavities.
- Broccoli: Not only is this veggie good for your body, it provides strong support for white, healthy teeth. The fibrous nature of raw broccoli naturally polishes your teeth as you chew. Broccoli also contains high levels of iron, which forms a barrier for your tooth enamel and protects it from acid erosion.
- Pineapple: This juicy fruit contains a strong ingredient for white teeth: bromelain. Bromelain is a compound known for its cleansing properties and anti-inflammatory powers. It is also an active ingredient found in some whitening toothpastes.
These foods may not reverse existing stubborn stains, but they are an excellent way to maintain the results of a professional teeth whitening. To learn more about the ways you can achieve a whiter smile, give us a call at Bencaz Family Dentistry. We don’t let yellow teeth destroy your smile confidence.