Dental implants are a modern miracle in the field of dentistry. Essentially, they are artificial tooth roots that are surgically placed into your jawbone to provide a stable foundation for replacement teeth. These replacement teeth can be individual crowns, bridges, or even full sets of dentures.
Dental implants are innovative tooth replacements that mimic natural teeth both aesthetically and functionally. By providing stability and durability along with improved oral health outcomes, they have revolutionized how we address missing teeth today.
The Procedure for Placing Dental Implants
The procedure for placing dental implants is a precise and intricate process that requires the expertise of a trained dental professional. Before beginning the implant placement, our dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth to ensure that you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. Once it has been determined that you are eligible for dental implants, the first step in the process is to surgically place the implant into your jawbone. This involves making an incision in the gum tissue and drilling a small hole in the jawbone where the implant will be inserted.
After this initial surgery, there is usually a healing period of several months, during which time osseointegration takes place. Osseointegration refers to the fusion of bone with titanium, which allows for stability and strength. Once osseointegration has occurred, another minor surgical procedure is performed to attach an abutment to the implant. The abutment serves as a connector between the implant and the prosthetic tooth or crown that will be placed on top. Once everything has healed properly and impressions have been taken of your teeth, our dentist will fabricate and fit your custom-made crown onto the abutment. This crown will look and function just like a natural tooth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer numerous benefits that make them a popular choice for replacing missing teeth.
- One of the major advantages is their ability to provide a permanent solution. Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants are designed to last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
- Implants also function just like natural teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without any restrictions. The secure fit of the implant ensures that it doesn't move or slip while chewing, providing optimal comfort and confidence.
- Another benefit of dental implants is their ability to preserve bone health. When a tooth is lost, the underlying jawbone may start to deteriorate over time. Implants stimulate bone growth and help maintain the integrity of the jawbone structure.
- Dental implants can improve your overall oral health by preventing adjacent teeth from shifting into the empty space left by a missing tooth. This helps in maintaining proper alignment and bite.
- Cosmetically, dental implants enhance your smile by filling gaps caused by missing teeth. They blend seamlessly with your natural teeth and can be customized for shape, size, and color to match perfectly.
- In addition, caring for dental implants is easy as they don't require any special cleaning solutions or adhesives like dentures do. Regular brushing and flossing, along with routine visits to our dentist, will keep your implant healthy and functional.
To find out more about the dental services we offer at Bencaz Family Dentistry, call (225) 665-2417 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 130 N. Hummell Street, Denham Springs, LA 70726.