A dental bridge is a fixed prosthetic device that helps fill the gap left by missing teeth. It literally "bridges" the space between two remaining teeth or implants, creating a seamless and natural-looking smile. The bridge consists of one or more false teeth, known as pontics, which are supported by adjacent healthy teeth on either side.
The Process of Having a Bridge Installed
The process of having a bridge installed is a multi-step procedure that involves several visits to our dentist. It starts with an initial consultation, where the dentist will examine your oral health and determine if a dental bridge is the right solution for you. Once it has been decided that a dental bridge is needed, the next step is preparing the abutment teeth. These are the teeth on either side of the gap where the missing tooth or teeth used to be. The dentist will reshape these teeth by removing some enamel to make room for crowns, which will hold the bridge in place.
After preparing the abutment teeth, impressions of your mouth will be taken to create custom-made bridges that fit perfectly in your mouth. While waiting for your permanent bridge to be made, you may be fitted with a temporary one to protect your exposed gums and remaining teeth. Once ready, your permanent dental bridge will be carefully placed and adjusted for proper fit and comfort. Our dentist may use special cement or adhesive materials to secure it in place. After installation, any necessary adjustments will be made so that you can bite and chew properly without discomfort.
Getting a dental bridge installed requires careful planning and precision from start to finish. With proper care and maintenance, dental bridges can restore both function and aesthetics to your smile!
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Having a dental bridge can offer many benefits to those who are missing one or more teeth.
- One of the main advantages is improved appearance. A dental bridge fills in the gap left by missing teeth, giving you a complete and natural-looking smile.
- Not only do dental bridges enhance your appearance, but they also restore your ability to chew and speak properly. When you have missing teeth, it can be difficult to eat certain foods and pronounce words accurately. With a dental bridge, you can enjoy all types of food without any discomfort or difficulty speaking.
- Another benefit of dental bridges is that they help maintain the shape of your face. When you lose teeth, it can cause your facial muscles to sag and make you look older than you actually are. By filling in the gaps with a dental bridge, you can retain a youthful appearance.
- Dental bridges prevent the remaining teeth from shifting out of position. When there's an empty space between teeth, neighboring ones tend to move into that space over time. This can result in misalignment and bite problems, which may require additional corrective treatments.
- Getting a dental bridge improves overall oral health by distributing chewing forces evenly across all your remaining teeth. This helps prevent excessive wear on certain tooth surfaces and reduces the risk of developing issues such as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ).
To find out more about the dental services we offer at Bencaz Family Dentistry, call (225) 665-2417 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 130 N. Hummell Street, Denham Springs, LA 70726.