Dental cleaning and checkups serve as preventative measures against more serious dental conditions down the road. Through regular visits every six months (or as recommended by your dentist), you can maintain optimal oral health and prevent future complications before they arise.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning and Checkup?
During a dental cleaning and checkup, several important steps are taken to ensure your oral health is in top condition.
- First, the dentist will carefully examine your mouth for any signs of tooth decay or gum disease. They may use a small mirror to get a clear view of all areas, including those hard-to-reach places.
- Next, they will thoroughly clean your teeth using special tools. This includes removing plaque and tartar buildup from both above and below the gumline. They will also polish your teeth to remove any surface stains.
- Afterward, the dentist will perform a comprehensive examination of your mouth. They will look for any issues such as cavities, cracked or chipped teeth, or signs of oral cancer. X-rays may be taken to get a more detailed view if necessary.
If any problems are detected during the exam, the dentist will discuss treatment options with you. This could include fillings, crowns, or other procedures, depending on the severity of the issue.
Why Are Dental Cleanings and Checkups Important?
- Regular dental cleanings and checkups are crucial for maintaining good oral health. They play a vital role in preventing dental problems and detecting any issues early on before they become major concerns.
- During a dental cleaning, a dentist will carefully remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. This is important because even with regular brushing and flossing at home, there are areas that are difficult to reach and clean thoroughly. Removing plaque and tartar helps prevent tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, and other oral health issues.
- A thorough examination by the dentist during a checkup allows them to identify any potential problems, such as cavities or gum disease. They will also perform an oral cancer screening to detect any signs of abnormalities in your mouth. Early detection of these conditions can lead to more effective treatment outcomes.
- Dental cleanings provide an opportunity for education about proper oral hygiene practices. The hygienist can offer personalized advice on brushing techniques, flossing methods, and the use of additional tools such as mouthwash or interdental brushes.
Regular dental cleanings and checkups are essential for maintaining optimal oral health. By keeping up with these preventive measures, you can avoid more extensive treatments down the line while enjoying a healthy smile!
To find out more about the dental services we offer at Bencaz Family Dentistry, call (225) 665-2417 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 130 N. Hummell Street, Denham Springs, LA 70726.